Sunday, January 11, 2009

Blackbird

I’ve been revisiting my Beatle’s collection over the past few days after a conversation with a friend about the brilliance of this group. I find their music tends to move and inspire me to write, and hopefully to write well.

One fact I learned about this song that I found interesting is the song was supposedly inspired by a piece by J.S. Bach and that the musical intro is a variation of the song that inspired this piece. Oddly enough, Bach is by far and away one of my favorite classical composers, and I find it funny I never noticed the similarity in “Blackbird” to Bach’s Bourrée in E minor. The mind is a mysterious thing. How unusual that I would be particularly drawn to song, inspired by another favorite artist, and never realize the connection. Of course, I could just be dense.

Paul McCartney has said on different occasions that this is a song that was written about racial inequality in the United States in the 60’s. And yet, as moving and important as that all is I think the part I identify with most is the section of lyrics that follow:

“Take these broken wings’ and learn to fly”

There is much happening in my life and the life of my family these days. Some of which I’m not terribly eager to speak of, particularly here. However, I find that this one line sums up what I am trying to do now with my life. Trying to rediscover who I once was and trying make my way towards who I want to be . . . or something along those lines. Not just personally, but professionally. Revisiting a dream and hoping to make it a reality this time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment